HSE Diving Medicals
In its Approved Code of Practice (ACoP), the Health and Safety Executive lists five working practices for each area of commercial diving:
- Offshore commercial
- Inland commercial
- Recreational instructor (note: not sports divers who are not instructors)
If you are involved in these activities, then you are required to undergo an annual HSE Diving Medical with an Approved Medical Examiner. At The Diver Clinic, we offer HSE Diving Medicals at both units, in Poole and Reading. Once assessed, divers passing the medical are given a copy of their certification and the certificate details are lodged with the HSE so they update their register.
What happens during a medical?
The examining Doctor will:
- Check personal details and previous medicals/dive log book (where applicable)
- Conduct an examination, including hearing test, visual test, lung test (spirometry), heart trace (ECG), urine analysis and 3 minute fitness test
- Initial examination also requires assessing a full blood count, which needs to be arranged with your GP prior to attending
- Examination will last approximately 1 hour
To assist in processing your medical, it is helpful if you can fill out Annexe A of the HSE publication ‘Medical Examination and Assessment of Divers (MA1)’ (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) and have your GP countersign it.
Please bring any previous medicals, log books, proof of identity (such as passport or driving licence), dive qualifications and clothing suitable for the exercise test.
Please contact us to arrange an appointment.
- Initial HSE Medical cost £140
- Follow-on medical £120
Please note that further tests will incur further costs, but will only be recommended where necessary and discussed with you.